My Blog

This blog was create to post my reflections to questions that I have to answers weekly. I will post links to all of my projects created for IT 645.



Friday, April 30, 2010

Final Project


Computers in Education (IT 645) has been an extremely beneficial class. The class provided a wide range of technology that is available for teachers. All the course projects taught me a lot of new technologies available on the internet. The projects also allowed me to apply the available resources for teachers. I had to complete a lot of assignments using technologies that have never used before taking IT 645. At times when starting a project I would feel overwhelmed, but the instructions provided made even the most difficult project relatively easy. I am currently not teaching, so I feel like IT 645 has prepared me to use the available technologies that will best benefit me when I start teaching. I feel like I already have a head start on my teaching career. IT 645 is a great class for any teacher to take. I feel like all future and current teachers should take IT 645, because it would help to alleviate their concerns with using technologies in the classroom. Using technologies resources can make teaching more interactive and educational for the students.

I have always preferred taking a course in a classroom, so that I can have face-to-face interaction with the instructor. Even though I have taken many online courses during my college years, but this is the first course that I used email regularly. After the chapter in the textbook that talked about filters messages, I have been more alert to the way that I communicate while using email. The emails that was sent by Dr. Wang was outlined and detailed to make it easy to understand what was expected of me next week.

I chose to purchase the course textbook using the e-book. Using the e-book is a lot more cost effective for me. I had to get used to reading the textbook online. I have always liked to highlight the important text for later use. Since I used the e-book, I had to read the text more carefully than usual. But I believe learned and understood the information faster. Using the resources available with the textbook purchase allowed me to make sure that I understood the information. One of the best benefits is that I could use the resources at the best time for me. The podcasts were a lot of help to me. I got the lecturing, in a sense, I needed. The podcasts reinforced the importance of technology.

The blog was a great tool to use in this class. I will definitely use a blog in my class. It is a great educational tool. Teachers could create a blog for each class. He or she could post discussion questions on the blogs. Blogs are, in my opinion, created to integrate technology in the class. Teachers can have links important sites or documents for the class. I do not believe that there is a subject that technology can be useful. As teachers, we should use the best available educational tools for students.

The projects for this course allowed me as a student to make sure that I understood the each resource. The projects’ instructions made the projects easier to complete. I am the type of person that stresses over an assignment. I tend to look at the examples before I read the instructions. I have realized that this was the wrong order. Even though I would stress over the projects, they were the best part of the course.

I have created many flyers in my career. I now realized that I have not used the all the available components in Word for creating a flyer. I learned a lot when I creating the flyer. I enjoyed getting to be creative. Every person needs to make sure that the flyers in which he or she creates are eye-catching and list all the important information. If the flyer is not created properly, most people will not pay that much attention to the flyer. You can be creating a flyer for something extremely important, and if the flyer is not created properly than you may not have to turnout that you desire.

Using excel in the class can be greatly beneficial to a teacher. Teachers can create grade books like I created for the course. If you create grade book in excel, you do not have to worry about calculating grades for the students. It also makes it easier to have information available for parents when you are asked for it. Teachers can create graphs to see what the class average is, so that he or she can make sure that most of the students understand the information. And the older children can use excel for different subjects such as math, history, and science.

Creating the quiz in PowerPoint was a lot of fun for me. Before creating this project, I have never created a quiz in PowerPoint. I believe as a teacher, I could create quizzes to keep the students involved in the class. And the students would also have the correct answer. You can make animated for the students to make them interested in the quiz. You could also create a study guide for the students to make sure that all the students know all the information needs for each test.

The project on web tools was very interesting for me. I did not really know all the web tools available for teachers for no or little cost. You can create puzzles, rubrics, and test makers. I have always thought that making a rubric had to be difficult, but with RubricStar website it is made simple for teachers. I learned a lot from the web tools project. I had a great time creating my puzzle. I have used the site a lot since I discovered. I created about seven puzzles for my project. Now I use it to create puzzle for my young relatives. It really helps the children learn key terms. I found to be extremely helpful in learning spelling words. The test maker was a lot of fun also. I loved creating the test. TestMaker was great to use. It would be great to use as a study guide for test also. TrackStar is a great site for teachers, especially for teachers in junior high or high school. TrackStar is a great tool to use to reinforce the current subjects in your classroom. You can even use it to create a helper for the parents of your students. For the students that do not have a home computer, you could allot time to allow the students to explore the sites on your TrackStar site. Web evaluations are a great tool to make sure that all the sites are appropriate for your students. Teachers can also make the evaluations available to the parents, so the parents can make sure that his or her children visit the correct sites.

The website project was one of the challenging projects. It was also the most time consuming for me. There was a lot of trial and error for me. But when I just followed the instructions in order, it seems to get easier. I like for everything to perfect, so changed a lot of information before I was satisfied with the site. A class website is a great ideal. The teacher can list all the homework assignments, which would eliminate the phrase, “I don’t know what I had to do for homework.” The site would make it easier for communicate between the parents and teachers. But you should still make sure all the parents have numbers to reach you, because every household does not have a computer and internet. You could also put others sites for the students. I believe that creating a website is better than TrackStar. You could a page for the different subjects. If the teacher is committed using the site, then he or she needs to make sure that all the parents have the ability to use the site to its full potential. The teacher needs to create an instructional guide for the parents.

The Story and ListServ project was the most difficult for me. It took me awhile to create the narration for my movie. It was a lot of trial and error. You had to make sure that you timed the slides perfectly with the narration and also the song. I worked on it for hours. But in the end, the project became my favorite of all the projects. I have never using the Windows MovieMaker before the project.

The blogfolio is a great way to make sure that you understand all the concepts learned in the class, because you must review what you learned in the class to create the last blog. It also allows that students to show to what extent you understood all the concepts of the class. I created electronic portfolios in another class. I believe that I liked creating a blogfolio the best.

I learned more organizational skills in this class. When you take an online class you have to be more structured than when you take a regular class. But the pros outweigh the cons. I was able to create the projects when it was most convince for me. Dr. Wang made sure that there was good communication with all the students. She responded to email quickly. She sent reminder for all the projects, which helped me stay focused. The projects helped me strengthen my weaknesses with technology. It was opened my eyes to the unlimited free resources on the internet.

In the future, I want to make sure that I use most of the concepts used in this class. I hope to one day teach in high school or a junior college teaching some form of technology course. I believe that taking IT 645 helped me one day achieve my goal. I hope to one day use all the electronic portfolios to show all the strengths concerning my technology skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment