My Blog

This blog was create to post my reflections to questions that I have to answers weekly. I will post links to all of my projects created for IT 645.



Sunday, March 28, 2010

Week 10 Website


Social Science Website

This week’s assignment was pretty scary to me. I have a hard time using a new program for the first time. I have used other website designing programs before. I always have a hard time getting started on a project. I will sit and worrying about the project, then I start it. I realize that I can handle the task at hand. I thought that I would not like creating this site but it turned out to be fun. I think that if I was actually a teacher, I would have an easier time creating the site. It has been a long time since I have been in school. I have not taken any teaching classes, so it was a little harder for me to construct a website for students.

Having a class website would be convenient for both parents and students. As a teacher, I could put the assignments on the site for parents and students to have copies. If a student lost his or her assignment, it could be found on the homework page. Parents would know what the child must complete every week. The homework page would help the parent be able to plan out his or her child’s homework time. One of the best benefits of a class website site for the parent is knowing what the child has to complete for homework. One of the things that I learned about a child is that if he or she does not want to do any homework then he or she will simply say, “I don’t have any homework”. Or my personal favorite, “I lost my homework papers.” If the teacher puts the homework on the website, then parents can just print out the lost homework.

The website cannot replace the face to face interaction. But it can make the teacher’s job easier. Most students have access to a computer and internet, so it teacher could put links to sites to use as a subject study aid. The teacher could create practice test on the site, so that parents can make sure that their child understands the information in the class. If the students do not understand the information, the parents can look at the many links to get more information. And there are some subjects that parents could use some help understanding the subject also. I had to use different sites to help my niece with her math homework.

3 comments:

  1. Well Cora, I don't know. I teach on a daily basis and I struggled with this assignment to. As a matter of fact, I even struggled with the post for this assignment. I don't know what happened. I do, however, agree with you about the use of websites as means of communication. While I've created websites before, I have never done one with a 'Contact Me' form. I think those are great, because sometimes providing an email address just isn't enough. If you put the form out there, it doesn't require as much work for the parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Cora! I really liked your website focusing on being a helper. Parents really welcome that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed sharing your experience and thoughts on creating a web site. I also agree with you that Website cannot replace face-to-face teaching,especially the simple site like our course assignment. However, it is a great supplement for classroom teachers if it designed well. Great job. Where is your site URL I can access to it?

    ReplyDelete